Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Week 28 - XLR8 The Passionate Leader

Celebrity. We are obsessed with it. Michael Jackson was consumed by it. His life, like Elvis, was shortened by drug addiction trying to deal with it. He never learned to lead his own life according to the lyrics most of us have heard “I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways.” He could not deal with his dark side or “shadow” as Debbie Ford calls it. I just ordered her new DVD The Shadow Effect to more fully understand how to deal with it within myself and those I coach.

  • Zig Ziglar’s Inspiration: 365 Days A Year
    • My favorite quote for the week of July 13th – 18th: “It is not what happens to me, it’s what happens in me. It’s not the size of the problem, but how I handle the problem when I fall.” – Greg Horn
      • I don’t know about you, but before MJ died, I was sick and tired of hearing about him. So my initial reaction to his death was to tune out all the publicity. I know I should have been more empathetic of a fellow substance abuser, but sometimes those of us who are recovering become self-righteous. We have dealt with our “shadow” and are impatient with those who have not or cannot deal with theirs.
      • So as the universe does, one of my “shadows” paid a visit the other night quite unexpectedly. It reminded me of how powerful it was in the past, and I was grateful that it didn’t have the same power over me that it once had. But it is still there and needs to be addressed from time to time.

  • The Best Year of Your Life: Get Debbie Ford's Kit
    • Week Twenty-Seven Assignment – Lighten Your Load
      • I hope you made progress, don’t slip back!
    • Week Twenty-Eight Assignment – Purify
      • Many of us engage in activities or substances on a regular basis that we know aren’t good for us. Whether it’s watching too much TV, overdoing it on food, sugar or caffeine, or using drugs or alcohol as an escape, these behaviors take a huge toll on our self-esteem, not to mention our health.
      • For this week, I challenge you to give up or substantially reduce one activity or substance that you know is detrimental to your well-being. Before you give it up, think of things you can do to replace this behavior.

  • Creating a Culture of Leadership Development – A Drop for Your Bucket!!! Send an electronic drop or comment by going to the blog (click on this blog’s heading – Wake Up the Passionate Leader above) and click on the “comment” icon at the end of this week’s posting.

o Elaine caught up to a couple of her June Leadership Week participants and was gratified that the bosses had gone over their “In Search for Adventure Plan” on a road trip. What a great way to make the time in the car more productive. Message to all you bosses out there – this means a great deal to your folks. Never underestimate the impact this has on those returning from Leadership Week.

To date, we have 202 subscribers. My goal is 1,000 by year end. We need your help!!! Invite a friend, colleague or sign up your team this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment