We celebrated Christmas with my children yesterday. Every Dad’s dream is to spend a whole day opening gifts, eating great food, and playing family games. Now if you are my kids, you get one self improvement gift every year, since one of my passions to help my family lead a passionate life. This year it was Simple Truths Books/DVDs (click) . Here’s the breakdown:
- Oldest – Laura, 30 – Every Monday Matters – Her passions are being a Mom and a teacher. I had hoped there were ideas to share with her 9th grade classes on how they could serve others. She will be a teacher that many students remember all their lives.
- Middle – Molly, 27 – The Essence of Leadership – She is still looking for her leadership voice. This book speaks of how successful leaders found their voice and what is important to consider.
- Youngest – Andrew 21 – The Right to Lead – He has attracted leadership roles throughout his young life. Once there, you must earn the right to lead. It is a must read for anyone in a leadership role looking to sharpen their skills.
Zig Ziglar’s Inspiration: 365 Days a Year
- My favorite quote for the week of December 20th – 26th: “Advice is like snow – the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind.” Samuel T. Coleridge
- This speaks to the essence of coaching. Advice, or more often options, is considered with a trusted, objective source. This allows the mind to hear and see alternatives which might not be considered otherwise. We don’t make decisions for our clients, we help them discovery what’s best for themselves.
The Best Year of Your Life: Get Debbie Ford's Kit
- Week Fifty: Go Back to Basics
- I look forward to the New Year’s break, a time I reflect upon the previous year and take a look at my passions and how I want to approach living them more fully in 2010.
- Week Fifty-One: Please Yourself
- Can you find the time or energy to nurture yourself during this busy time of year? Ask for gifts that would allow that to happen. It could be babysitting of your kids for a long weekend. A gift certificate for a massage or night out might be possible. Don’t be afraid to ask!!!
Creating a Culture of Leadership Development – A Drop for Your Bucket!!! Send an electronic drop or comment by going to the blog (click on this blog’s heading – Wake Up the Passionate Leader above) and click on the “comment” icon at the end of this week’s posting.
- Last call for a free DNA Talent report. This might be a great way to choose a development opportunity for 2010, based on how well you are performing, in your own opinion, on various mission critical competencies for your current role. Send me an e-mail and complete the report by Dec. 31st. My final self-help holiday gift for all of you!!!