Sunday, March 28, 2010

XLR8 The Passionate Leader: (G + L + F = JOY!!!)

Weekly Inspiration: You Can Do It! (click) Affirmation by Louise Hay from her 2010 calendar:

  • “My work is deeply fulfilling for me. I follow my higher instincts and listen to my heart in all that I do.”
    • Of course this has to do with the “L” in my formula for happiness – “loving yourself by doing what you love in service of those who love what you do.” We are coaching several people who are stuck in jobs they don’t love mainly for financial security. All I can say is … I left a six-figure job in 1996 with three kids - 17, 14, & 8 - to do what I love. I would hate to think how I would see my life now if I hadn’t done it. At 63, I am now ready to do it again! Don’t play it safe, you are playing small!!!
    • Another great example was today’s CBS Sunday Morning. Joy Behar, at 68, says she is at the pinnacle of her career. I don’t care what you think about her “views”, but at forty, she knew many things she wasn’t good at. She finally had the courage to do what she always knew she was meant to do, stand-up comedy. You must believe it, then you’ll see it. Once you do, the world of opportunity opens up. This is best described by a quote from one of our new clients who noted that our leadership retreat was one of “the best weeks of my life.” He went on to say that “if you don’t go within, you’ll go without.” Brilliant!

How do I do better? XLR8Forward

We are now catching up to those participants from our last leadership retreat week from early March. A few weeks ago, I spoke of the question that ranks lowest from the Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) 3600 assessment.

#16. (He or she) asks for feedback on how his/her actions affect other people’s performance.

One of the ways to get feedback fast worked great at the retreat. It is based on Marshall Goldsmith’s “Feedforward.” (Click to see 4 minute video) One of the participants said it was like “speed dating”. After reviewing the DISC self-assessment, each participant chose one area that they would like to improve on and followed Marshall’s process. In 2 – 3 minutes, they received a few ideas as well as helped their partner with a few ideas. In 10 – 15 minutes, they had multiple perspectives and a handful of great ideas.

The second way is a little more involved. We call it XLR8Forward. First, you pick a particular issue from the 3600 assessment that you’d like more insight on. Second, you write a short paragraph (preamble) saying why this is important to your leadership development. Third, you think of a time when you actually did it and detail why it was a memorable experience. It is now very easy to think of more ways you could demonstrate this particular behavior or action. (If you’d like a template, e-mail me.).

Lastly, when you share your 3600 data with your raters, you share your story and hand out an XLR8Forward so they can fill out in the future. One new client just did so around the LPI question “supports decisions other people make on their own.” When reviewing this with one of his direct reports, his direct report said he does it sometimes - but not enough. This led to a very open discussion about what both of them needed to do in order for this to happen more. My client said that without XLR8Forward, his direct report would not have had the courage to open up to him. Over the next several months, he will have a new story ready for each monthly leadership meeting and encourage his folks to do the same, while offering ideas for him to do better so that every day he can give his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment