Tuesday, June 29, 2010

XLR8 The Passionate Leader: (G + L + F = JOY!!!)

Weekly Inspiration: You Can Do It! (click) Affirmation by Louise Hay from her 2010 calendar:

  • “I surround myself with positive-thinking people.” This may be easier said than done for some people given the adage “you can choose your friends, but not your family”. In any event, when you have the choice, who do you spend your time with? If you want more positive experiences in your life, check out who you spend your time with.
  • Why is this important? I just completed a book entitled: “Positivity – Top Notch Research Reveals the 3 – 1 Ratio That Will Change Your Life”. Positivity – Top Notch Research Reveals the 3-to-1 Ratio That Will Change Your Life (click). Positive psychology pioneer, Barbara Fredrickson, Ph.D., introduces readers to the power of harnessing happiness to transform their lives backed up by impressive lab research. The author lays out the core truths and 10 forms of positivity - joy, gratitude, serenity, interest, hope, pride, amusement, inspiration, awe and love - in a book that promises to change the way people look at feeling good. She provides scientific evidence to illustrate her findings that maintaining a 3:1 positivity ratio of positive thoughts to negative emotions creates a tipping point between languishing and flourishing. What is your Positivity Ratio? (click) Eighty percent of Americans fall short of this ratio!!!

PLEASE NOTE: In response to the last blog posting, Joan Shafer passed along Daniel Pink’s great YouTube video: “Drive – The Surprising Truth About What Motives Us” (click). Every leader should know this basic truth. Play it forward.


XLR8 YOU!!! – An Invitation to Our Vision

For all of us to awaken to the magnificence of our limitless possibilities.

Thanks to the people who asked where my blog was last week. I took Father’s Day off which was a wonderful celebration at our home with 25 family members. It was the first time in a while where all our adult children were in town. My middle daughter, Molly, gave me a “Chicken Soup for the Soul Book – Thanks Dad”, which I am enjoying. The stories are from children remembering how their Dads said “I love you”, taught them life lessons and gave them moments that last forever, etc.

Like coaching, great parents learn as much form their children as they teach. One story reminded me of when I quit my job to start The XLR8 Team in 1996. What terrible timing . . . my girls were 16 and 13, and my son was 7 years old. How would we pay for college? We survived – in fact, our last payment was April 1st. The best encouragement came from my son, Andrew, in the form of a poem:


My Dad “XLR8s

My Dad had a job that was really great, but he wants to XLR8.

XLR8 will be great when my Dad gets a lot of business dates.

He will charge a big, fat rate, so I hope he doesn’t show up late.

I really think it must be fate, for my Dad’s new business to XLR8!!!


I tell this story because he helped me as I attempted to keep my own 3:1 ratio on the many days of self doubt and negative thinking. I framed the poem and put it on my office wall along with my “inner guidance system” (unique ability, personal mission and values). In today’s terms, I include them as part of my vision board.


Let me end this week’s posting with another invitation that kept me going in 1999 from Oriah Mountain Dreamer:

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living,

I want to know what you ache for and if you dare

to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know

if you will risk looking like a fool for love,

for your dream, for the adventure of being alive…


This is the basis for XLR8 YOU!!! “Leadership Excellence”. It all starts with how you lead your life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment