Sunday, March 22, 2009

Week 12 - XLR8 The Passionate Leader

As always, this last class had their biggest opportunity in improving their leadership performance as indicated by the Leadership Practices Inventory question #16 – “Asks for feedback on how his/her actions affect other people’s performance”. We’ll address not only why it is difficult, but some ways to approach it though this week’s theme – Are you ready, willing, and able to be coached?


  • Zig Ziglar’s Inspiration: 365 Days A Year
    • My favorite quote for the week of March 23rd – March 29th: “You can’t talk yourself out of a problem you behave yourself into.” – Stephen Covey
      • Well actually you can . . . it’s called DENIAL! I often joke that “the state of denial is a beautiful place.” I came across this a couple of times this week and the Johari Window model came to mind (see Johari Window Model). This model provides a picture into what a trusted person, including your coach, can provide you like no one else.
        • We all have “blind areas’ – known by others but unknown by self. We solicit feedback through 3600 data or team assessment data and then we have a choice. Are we truly ready, willing, and able to be coached? If you are, it’s no longer denial.
        • Sometimes the “unknown area” (unknown by self/unknown by others – you don’t know what you don’t know!) is the biggest obstacle, but it’s where the most opportunity for transformation lies. If we have never experienced something (a great team, a loving, intimate relationship) we may not know what we are missing or think we have it, at least according to what we have experienced. If you do nothing, it is worse than denial because you and your team/organization cannot be all it can be.


  • The Best Year of Your Life: Get Debbie Ford's Kit
    • Week Eleven Assignment – Take Back Your Power
      • Do you have clarity and focus? NO ONE can take them away from you, and more importantly, NO ONE can keep you from fulfilling it without your permission.
    • Week Twelve Assignment – Learn from the Mirror of Relationships
      • A great random selection given the Johari Window Model reference above. Seek out two people whom you admire, and invite them to answer these questions:
        • What about me inspires you the most?
        • What do you think is possible for me in the year to come?
        • What behavior, habit, or belief do you think I would have to give up in order to make this the best year of my life?
        • What skills and abilities do I have that you would like to see me develop?
      • Look for common themes and act upon them.


  • Creating a Culture of Leadership Development – A Drop for Your Bucket!!! Send an electronic drop
    • I sent out five drops this week. How many did you send? How do you feel when you did? I know the receivers LOVE THEM!!!
    • Make one of your drops a blog comment to share with our community and get a free Simple Truths Book/DVD of your choice as a reward.

To date, we have 152 subscribers. My goal is 1,000 by year end. Invite a friend or colleague this week.

1 comment:

  1. A drop for your bucket....Everyday when I come to work I see the group picture from Bristol Harbour on my wall. I remember something specific that each of you gave to me during the week that we spent together. For that I cannot thank you enough. Soar like an eagle!

    ReplyDelete